We all love Christmas don’t we? A time for chilling out with the family, opening presents, music and fun. Of course, excess happens too, especially in the food and drink area. Sometimes this can pose dangers if your puppy manages to get their paws on a chocolate that fell on the floor or your dog ate a mince pie. So what dangers should we be on the lookout for this Christmas?
After that lovely quiet walk early on Christmas morning and once you’ve all opened up your pressies (and even helped your furry friends open theirs perhaps?) the food inevitably comes out, and if you’re like me, stays out all day. The following can all be dangerous for your dog:
- chocolate – toxic to dogs.
- grapes – raisins/currants etc – can cause kidney problems. This means fruit cake, mince pies and Christmas pudding are definitely out.
- onion family – this can also be toxic to dogs so be aware, especially if you’re giving them a bit of Christmas dinner to make sure there are no onions in there.
- alcohol – it’s just not good for dogs, similar to how it is for us. Keep out of reach.
- Too much human food – sometimes it can just not suit your dog’s tummy, especially if they aren’t used to it.
Definitely keep all foods away from dogs and don’t feed them tidbits of course. Keep any leftovers out of reach too, especially if they might have gone bad.
The best bet is to make sure you have plenty of dog friendly treats on hand, especially if you have over zealous guests who just want to make sure that your dog is enjoying the festivities!
So, what happens if your dog accidentally eats something they shouldn’t? Depending on what it is of course, you should definitely monitor your dog for signs of illness. If you know what they’ve eaten and you’re concerned it’s something that’s really bad for them then I’d definitely get in touch with your vet straight away.
Other potential dangers for dogs at Christmas are:
- over excitement – yup, I think I’m with them there. But seriously, they might need to find somewhere calm to be, especially if you have unfamiliar children around. Being proactive is probably best to make sure everyone stays happy.
- non food items that look good to chew – ornaments, wrapping paper, crackers, bows. The list is endless! If your dog is a chewer then make sure all ornaments stay out of reach and papers are cleared away.
- Christmas trees – of course there are dangers with them falling over, chewing them up etc, but if you also have a real tree the pine needles might upset your dogs tummy if they eat them.
Although it can feel alarming to think about, you’ll probably be well aware of your dog’s ability to snaffle food when you’re not looking or chew up all that is around it. Just be aware of the extra things that are around and take precautions as you would normally and you’ll most likely be fine.
Enjoy your Christmas!